Welcome to the Maison des Oiseaux
What do we know about the history of our house? The answer is a mixture of stories and hearsay but not a lot of hard evidence. The sandy coloured stone outer walls date back to the fourteenth century. We believe that at some stage it may have been an official building for the village, as it was known as La Ville. Local sculptor M. Berend lived here for many years, and after he moved out, it ended up as a nightclub, Club Cuba, before fire destroyed most of it sometime towards the end of the 1990s. After that, it lay in ruins, until purchased by a Scottish lady who set about the challenge of completely re-building the property, a four year long undertaking.
When we purchased the property, it was nearly completed, but it had never been lived in. This gave us the chance to put our stamp on it, undertaking the decorating and finishing touches. We have ended up with all the conveniences of the 21st century inside 14th century stone walls. The property is built into the second tier of walls that surrounded the village. The adage ‘never judge a book by its cover’ certainly applies to the Maison des Oiseaux.
What you get
When you arrive in Cordes, you will be met in the lower village by our house manager, Janine, who will show you to our home, and make you welcome.
- Charming entrance with original stone lavabo
- Utility room equipped with washing machine, separate dryer and fridge/freezer
- Separate toilet
- Lock up garage with electronic doors – currently used for storage
- The Chambre and en-suite shower room, which can be booked separately
- The bibliotheque with over 2,000 books to browse
- Master bedroom with super king sized bed and views to die for
- Bathroom with shower & bath
- Walk-in robe; all linen provided
- Large open plan living and dining area
- Fully equipped kitchen with all electric oven and hot plate, dish washer and refrigerator
- Doors to outdoor balcony overlooking a walled garden on different levels
- TV, internet access
- Second bedroom with queen sized bed
- Third bedroom with two large single beds
- Bathroom with shower
- A separate reading nook on the landing
- Please use the contact form for further information
The house next door…
If you would like to use another one or two bedrooms, the house next door is also available for rent. There is a connecting door between the two houses. Please click here for details.
Maison des Oiseaux 20 Rue de la Boucarié,
View on Map
To view availability,
please click here.
“We were sorry to leave Cordes behind as the sun shone on our last day and oh, what a beautiful place. We absolutely loved staying at your maison. Everything was perfect. We are envious of your interior design! We appreciated the pieces of Australiana too.”Melinda & Rod, March 2015
“This house is at the top of the old, medieval village and has spectacular views. I'd live here.”Tessa & Chris, Sept 2011